Wednesday, August 24, 2011

{Recipes} The Monte Cristo

Yesterday the post Jill did about french toast got me thinking about one thing: eating a Monte Cristo sandwich. It is seriously one of my favorite things in the whole world.

Flashback to 2007-2008, my final year in grad school in Iowa. My friend Patty introduced me to the Village Corner Deli in Davenport, Iowa and told me about this sandwich that she couldn't get enough of. I didn't really *understand* what the whole thing was about, but I decided to give it a try. And I never looked back.

It's pretty common knowledge that the Monte Cristo is an adaptation of a Croque Monsieur, a traditional grilled ham and cheese sandwich from France. But they were truly made popular at Disneyland in the 1960s when the Blue Bayou restaurant started serving them. Sidenote: when I go to Disneyland in October, there's no way I'm not having a Monte Cristo at the Blue Bayou.

I have never had one quite as good as the Village Corner Deli, but that's likely because I look back at that deli and sandwich as time spent with really good friends. Another memorable version was at brunch at The Park Grill in Chicago--also a time with good friends.

Here are two versions of the Monte Cristo I found online for you to try at home (click the link under the pictures). I hope you enjoy them!


Recipe and Photo from Anissa's Kitchen

Recipe from Southern Living and Photo from MyRecipes



No comments:

Post a Comment