Thursday, November 18, 2010

(DIY Activities} I Wish I Were at the Three Broomsticks

Tonight is an important night in the lives of every Harry Potter fan--at midnight, the first installation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows arrives in movie theaters! I am sad to say I will not be attending a midnight showing--you know, the whole kids, job, sleep thing :) But just in case you thought I couldn't get any cooler, I bring you the highlight of my evening--Butterbeer!!!! I have scouring the internet today to find the most appealing and true-to-form recipe that exists. And then I realized that Universal Studios will not release their recipe (J.K. Rowling gave it her seal of approval) so I extrapolated on what I found online and created an easy-to-make and delicious version of my own! It is sweet, full of butterscotch, and topped with fresh whipped cream. Yum. Cheers, everyone!


What you need for the Two Sugar Babies adapted version:


--2-liter bottle of cream soda (or cans, whatever you can find)
--Heavy cream
--Butterscotch ice cream topping (the grocery store was sold out, so I bought "butterscotch caramel" topping. Apparently everyone else in my part of town was making Butterbeer too.)
--Butter
--Rum extract


Combine in a blender 2 Tablespoons butterscotch topping and 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream. Blend until thick, but not completely whipped. Set aside.
In a microwave-safe glass, heat 1/2 tablespoon butter and a couple tablespoons of the butterscotch topping and heat in the microwave until the butter has melted, about 25 seconds. Be careful as the the topping will be bubbly and you don't want that all over your microwave. So watch while you heat :)
Add to the glass a few drops of rum extract (it's strong) and about 1/4 c of cream soda, and stir until combined. The mixture will foam quite a bit.
Top off the glass with cream soda and spoon a couple of dollops of whipped cream on top.






The butterscotch whipped cream is REALLY tasty. I'm imaging it on the pumpkin bread pudding I'm making for Thanksgiving, or maybe pumpkin pie. Or maybe I will just eat it with a spoon :)


Have a great Friday! If you can't find me, I'll be en route to the Three Broomsticks in Florida to try the real version. Haha, I wish :)

No comments:

Post a Comment